Just a Pocket – The Alchemist’s Apron

The next step on my Alchemist’s Apron is to create some pockets.  Of course, ones I tried to plan out and carefully dye were disasters.  This one I sewed from a third shirt that I dyed for “extra” pieces of cloth to work with in constructing the apron.  I had sewn on a small strip of reddish silk someone had given me.  Some of the silk I used for this purpose, frayed to the point of not being useable but this one had an interesting look to it.  I saw a tree almost immediately when I ironed this pocket.  I used thread dyed with turmeric for the leaves and some brown from the dye pot to stitch the tree trunk, roots and branches.  The brown did not create enough contrast so I did use some darker commercial brown as well.  The fabric had a circle design so I employed a circle for a sun in the sky.  The colors are more of my autumn palette, however, Arizona also has a lot of browns and golds so I will use this on my apron.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *